There are numerous models of kayaks from more than 100 different manufactures which makes it quite difficult to find the best fishing kayaks. Kayaks come in multiple types including recreational, fishing, sea, whitewater, surfing, racing, military, specialty and hybrid, and stand-up paddling kayaks which are another type of recreational. We will however focus on fishing kayaks which may include specialty and hybrid kayaks.
Here is a list of the Best Bass Fishing Kayak
Bass Fishing Kayak
Before choosing a kayak, there are some factors that should be put into consideration. For instance, is my kayak just for fishing? Will I use my kayak through whitewater rapids? or relax and just paddle with some of the family members? Where will I be fishing? Is it in fresh water harbors, ponds, salt water or streams and rivers? Will I power my kayak by strictly paddling, use a trolling motor or paddle it with a built-in propulsion? What sitting type do I prefer? The dimensions needed and the prices.
As there are so many kayaks to choose, given below is a list of the top 5 kayaks with their information and reviews so that an intelligent decision is made before buying one.
1. Sun Dolphin Excursion Sit-in Fishing Kayak
This is a less expensive but tough kayak that comes with much terrific features which suits a fisherman. Its price makes it the best choice for a starter.
Rating: 4.4 / 5.0
It is made of a High Density Polyethylene which is a very durable material. This material has an ultra-violet inhibitor which is blended throughout to reduce its color fade and maintain the strength of the kayak. The material is somehow flexible thus it can return to its original shape in case of any distortion.
The boat has adjustable foot braces, adjustable seat back, paddle holder( the paddle can be secured in bungee straps on the side of the hull), a drain plug( ensure that this plug is secure), storage, protective thigh pads, large open cockpit, 1 swivel rod holder, 2 flush mount rod holders, and a water bottle holder.
Size and Dimensions
It has a length of 10', 30'' in width and 13'' in size. Its weight is 41 lbs and has a capacity of 250 lbs.
The maximum weight capacity should never be exceeded as this could be dangerous to both the fisherman and the kayak itself, The drain plug should always be secure, ensure to keep a sound device in the boat at all times to signal other boats of its presence.
- The kayak is lightweight.
- Has a low price.
- Most users gave it high ratings.
- Has a closed cargo area in the back.
- Can fit in the trunk of some cars.
- There is excellent customer service provide by Sun Dolphin which are highly praised by some owners.
- There is no capacity to add a trolling motor.
- The paddle is not included.
- There is no drainage hence one needs to swim to the shore.
- Some users consistently complain of a molded seat made for a sore butt after using it for long.
- The weight capacity is is too small for some users who are bigger.
The best thing with the Sun Dolphin Excursion kayaks is that their prices are low and have excellent customer services. it is advisable to use affordable amount to buy a kayak that will last longer. The boat gives plenty of room with bungee cords to ensure that the fishing gear fits in hence recommended for fishermen who needs to get started in the sport.
2. Sea Eagle SE330 Inflatable Sports Kayak Pro Solo Package
This is even less expensive compared to the Sun Dolphin. The company, Sea Eagle, is very respected and offers outstanding customer services just like Sun Dolphin company. This boat is the lightest and the most portable thus making it the most popular. It s weight is just 26lbs. It can hold up to two people or 500lbs and can easily be carried and paddled by one person.
Rating: 4.3 / 5.0
- The exterior is 340cm by 86cm.
- The interior is 290cm by 38cm.
- Has a tube diameter of 25.4cm.
- A hull weight of 12kg.
- Its load capacity is two adults or 227kg.
- When deflated, it is 61cm by 41cm by 18cm.
- Has three chambers: starboard, port and floor.
- It is made of 33 mil polykrylar.
- The floor is 1-beam construction.
- The air valves are 5 deluxe one way.
- Whitewater rating reaches class III.
- Five deluxe one-way valve.
- Open and close drain valves.
- The spray skirts are inflatable and lashed down.
- 1-beam construction floor.
- Sun and salt-water resistant hull material.
- 2 skegs are at the bottom for excellent tracking and speed.
- Bow together with the stern grab line.
- Pressure gauge, repair kit and printed instructions.
- Can be transported in a small car.
- Deluxe one-way valves.
- Excellent customer services.
- Light weight.
- 2 molded skegs allows smooth tracking.
- Can be easily stored in small places.
- 3 year manufacture's warranty.
The pro packages include carry bag, foot pump, Deluxe inflatable kayak seat and a repair kit.
- There are no footrests.
- No ability to add trolling motor.
- No rod holders.
- The skegs are not removable.
The kayak is the best choice for a budget conscious Bass-Hole. It is perfect for anybody who lives in an apartment or any other cramped space. The kayak has a storage space for fishing gear and other cargo. It can also be used by fishermen in whitewater rivers or oceans. It has a solid fishing platform thus good for spin fishing as well as fly fishing.
3. Emotion Stealth Angler Sit-On-Top Kayak
Rating: 3.8 / 5.0
It is very comfortable with its solid plastic construction which allows it to accommodate many accessories and a trolling motor. Its price is $844.94 (check the price at Amazon.com). It is a durable fishing kayak thus recommended for use.
- It has 3 fishing rod holders.
- Has a paddle keeper.
- Ultra lite seat with padded backrest.
- Easy roll-skeg wheel which helps in transport and tracking.
- 8'' locking hatch.
- Has a storage in rear tank.
- Carry handles on bow, stern and both sides.
- Molded footwells.
- Self-bailing scupper holes.
- It is 11' in length and 30'' in width.
- Has a height of 14''.
- Has a weight of 58 lbs.
- Its capacity is 300lbs.
- It is made from an ultra-violet protected high-density polyethylene material.
- It is a Sit-On-Top kayak.
- Reasonable weight.
- Has 3 rod holders.
- Can add fish-finder and extra straps.
- It is rugged enough to add a strolling motor.
- It is not stable to stand up in it.
- The skeg wheel is small making the kayak to roll over at times.
- The scupper hole under the seat can can wet one's butt.
The boat's generous storage capacity and the design makes it the best choice for longer fishing trips. It can also withstand the rough ocean waters thus best suits fishermen from these areas.
4. Wilderness System ATAK 140 Fishing Kayak
The boat is designed for fishing since it has a number of features that are specifically developed for fishing. It is the greatest choice for a serious fisher who needs a kayak that can carry huge loads. Its seating system is comfortable allowing fishing for a longer time. It allows addition of a trolling motor in case of great distances.
Rating: 5.0 / 5.0
- It has an integrated paddle park.
- Self bailing scupper holes.
- Paddle keeper.
- Has an extremely comfortable AirPro MAX seat.
- Wind shedding hull.
- Enclosed bow storage and additional storage.
- Wilderness system's lifetime warranty.
- FlexPod OS electronics console.
- Open deck walk space.
- Its length is 14' 1''
- Its width is 34''
- Has a height of 14''
- Its weight is 86lbs.
- 550lbs in capacity.
- It is made of a polyethylene material.
- Has built in handles.
- Accommodates trolling motor.
- Easy to paddle.
- Rod storage system.
- It is very stable with comfortable seats.
- Can carry heavy loads.
- Has spacious storage capacity.
- Rod holders are extra.
- It is heavy for one person.
- It is difficult to obtain replacement parts.
- Cup holder does not drain.
The boat is highly adaptive thus can be used to fish in any environment be it in clear or slow moving water. The seats are extremely comfortable making the fishermen enjoy their fishing activity.
5. Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12 Kayak
It is propelled by MirageDrive with the Glide Technology pedal system. The company offers incredible customer services. Its price is $3,149.00.
Rating: 3.0 / 5.0
The kayak has a length of 12', a width of 36'' and its weight is 98lbs in hull and 120lbs when it is fully rigged. It has a capacity of 350lbs. The boat is made from a rotomolded polyethylene material.
- The mounting boards are replaceable.
- It has a retractable radar.
- Has front and rear carrying handles.
- Has a dual steering.
- Has 6 rod holders, 2 are vertical and 4 are horizontal.
- Mirage drive with Glide technology.
- It is very stable.
- It accommodates trolling motors.
- Has great storage and tackle systems.
- Adjustable seats.
- Can be used in both fresh and saltwater.
- It is heavy hence needs to be transported to water by other means.
- It is highly priced.
As much as it is expensive, it is of great value once it is purchased. It is highly recommended for fishers because the MirageDrive system allows the fishermen to use less effort leaving them with more energy to fish. It has a large bow hatch for storing bulky items and an 8'' hatch which is round and perfectly carry alive or cooler bait along the way.
For an excellent fishing machine, I would definitely buy Hobie Mirage drive kayak. Otherwise, some of the features I would require in a fishing kayak are safety, growth potential, comfort, fishing crafts and customer services.