Choosing between the two is largely personal preference, but the side-zip design helps make these boots far more practical for regular wear. They allow you to skip the lacing and tying step, and simply insert your foot and raise the side zipper to put them on quickly and easily.
For the side-zip design, they have locking lace guides to help hold the laces in place so they don’t pop out when the boot is unzipped. As nice as this feature is, it can add extra bulk for the user who isn’t interested in this specific feature. So, if that function isn’t important to you, you can save some bulk by going with the standard edition.
Key Features of the 5.11 Skyweight Boot
Several aspects of this boot help set it apart from competing models, as well as the other tactical boots offered by 5.11 Tactical. The most noteworthy features include:
- Rugged construction consisting of suede and nylon materials
- Heavy stitched craftsmanship for durability
- Full length sole with enhanced width for a stronger grip
- Arched sole with heel brake and rope hardware for work performance
- Slip resistant rubber outsole
- Lightweight construction and extra padding for enhanced comfort
These features echo 5.11 Tactical’s vision for this boot – a lightweight, durable, functional boot for performance in both manual labor and tactical applications.
Video Overview of the 5.11 Skyweight
To get a better idea of what this boot is all about, check out this video for an up-close and personal look at this boot design:
Reviewing the Performance of the 5.11 Skyweight
At the end of the day, how do all of these features perform when they all work together? Here’s a breakdown of each aspect of boot performance and how the 5.11 Skyweight stacks up:
These boots are based on military design, so they incorporate features that helps make them suitable for long term wear on demanding jobs. Between the padded sole and lightweight design, they provide a comfortable experience throughout the day.
Just remember these are made of suede leather, so they will feel best after an appropriate break-in period. Wear them around the house a few times before hitting the job for the first time, and they will provide a pleasant experience.
These boots scream “tactical”, or at least “military” on some level. The tan colors and the rugged design, combined with signature military-style lacing, leave little to be desired in terms of tactical aesthetics. The standard Skyweight comes in one color, “coyote” (a light tan), so you don’t get a say in color selection.
The side-zip Skyweights, however, can be had in black as well. These look less like a military boot, and may be more desirable for law enforcement or civilian use.
Compliance with Regulation
If you’re looking for an Army compliant boot, these aren’t the ones for you. While they provide a high level of tactical performance, their suede construction is not compliant with AR 670-1, so you won’t be able to wear them with ACU’s.
Pricing of the 5.11 Skyweight
Regardless of if you’re interested in the standard or side-zip version of the Skyweight, you can pick up a pair for around $139, which is a fair price for a quality pair of tactical boots.
Pick up a pair at Chief Supply to ensure you get the best price on these boots, currently $104.99.
- Here is our list of top army combat boots in the market
- Here’s our guide to –top lightweight army combat boots
- One of our favorite reviews is on the Nike SFB Field Leather Boot – here is the link: Nike SFB Field Leather Boot
- Our review of Rocky c5c ar 670-1 review
- What about the comparison between rocky c4t vs. nike SFB?
- Cheap Military Boots for Men Review
- Top 15 foot care tips
- Our Basic Training step-by-step Guide
- We made an epic guide of our best 50 survival tips and tricks. Make sure you have some popcorn in hand because it’s a massive one!