When packing to go hiking, the absolute first thing that you need to think about is your backpack. Knowing which one to choose can be difficult, especially if this is your first time hiking. I have created the ultimate buyers guide to help you choose which one to go for, and to help give you a better idea of what to look for.
Here is a list of the Best 40 Liter Backpack
40 Liter Backpack
What to Look For When Buying a Backpack
- Capacity (in this review I will be using 40 liter, but it's still an important thing to think about)
- How big the pouch is to hold your bladder, and no, I don't mean to urinate. In hiking terms, a bladder is the pouch that you hold your water in, it normally comes with a hands-free tube to save you having to go into your bag and dig out your drink. Plus, it means you don't have to stop constantly and can cover more distance.
- Buckled sternum straps – these are regular backpack straps, only with a buckle to fasten across your chest, making the hike much more comfortable.
- Hip belt – this serves pretty much the same purpose as the buckled strap, it helps hold your backpack in place, ensuring a more comfortable walk.
- Pockets – you will need to think about how many pockets you will need, for what you are taking with you.
- Hooks and added mesh – often hiking backpacks come with mesh on the front for easy to grab items and hooks to hang things like pans or your tripod.
Best 40 Liter Backpack – Top 5 Buyers Guide
1. Mountaintop 40 Liter Hiking Backpack
Rating: 4.4 / 5.0
Mountaintop have created this stylish, low priced backpack that includes a computer compartments big enough for a 17" laptop.
It comes with 6 adjustable straps, so that you can easily secure your sleeping bag, mat, hammock, photographic equipment and other essentials for your trip. It also meets the requirement size for most airlines, meaning you can take it on board with you for a no fuss trip. No waiting around at the airport for your luggage, just fly and go! It also comes with a hip belt, making it super easy to stay secured, but this strap is not adjustable.
It can carry at least a 3 liter water bottle. This isn't specified in the item description but one reviewer kindly left her review for other buyers to see.
Before you choose, let's go through some specifics to ensure this is the right one for you.
- The main straps are well padded, and also have the added feature of attached hooks for anything you need to attach to your bag. The straps are also in an 'S' shape, for the best comfort in carrying.
- It comes with a sternum strap that's fully adjustable to allow greater breathability when you're hiking at the steepest point.
- Another feature is a breathable, molded back panel. With the 'S' shaped straps and this padded back panel, you'll have no trouble carrying it around.
Mountaintop 40 Liter Hiking Backpack Video Review
Capacity and dimensions
As mentioned earlier, all of the bags will be 40 liters in this review, but I thought I'd add all components of the capacity, so you know exactly what you're buying.
- The item weight is a tiny 2.1lbs, you'll barely feel like you're carrying anything.
- Product Dimensions: 21.7 x 13.8 x 9.8 inches (55 x 35 x 25 cm)
- Front Zipped Pocket:7.4x6.6x1.5 inches(19x17x4cm)
- Middle Zipped Pocket:6.6x8.2x1.1 inches(17x21x3cm)
- Internal Pocket(The Pocket Behind Middle Pocket):8.6x5.5 inches(22x14cm)
- Side Mesh Pocket:5.9x5.9 inches(15x15cm)
You will more than likely at some point manage to get some dirt, dust or debris on your backpack. One bonus of this backpack is that it is really easy to clean. It is made out of a water-resistant fabric so your belongings will be safe inside, and you won't need to use any chemicals when cleaning (and also shouldn't use, it could damaged the coating and the bag!). To clean this bag all you're required to do is wipe with a wet cloth.
The product description does state however, that you should not iron this product. This is probably also going to damage not just the coating, but the material and buckles too.
At this time, this backpack has 4.4 stars out of 5 on Amazon, based on over 400 reviews. Many consumers have said that they "forgot they had it on" because it was so light and comfortable and that it was "perfect as a carry on for 2 weeks in Europe". The consumer describes that it was so easy to take on the plane and just go.
- This backpack is super cheap, and I definitely think It's good value for money.
- Easy to clean
- Multiple pockets and compartments
- Comfortable back panel and straps
- At least a 3 liter water bladder
- Can be used as a carry on when travelling by plane
I really struggled with cons for this backpack, as it literally has everything you need for a medium length hike. The one thing I did find was that the hip belt was not adjustable, but saying that you're going to want to keep your backpack in place anyway!
You can buy this backpack from Mountaintop here on Amazon.
2. Osprey Farpoint 40L Backpack
Rating: 4.7 / 5.0
This backpack from Trekitt is that little bit more special. Coming in at a fairly high price, this backpack can offer you many incredible features. These include a lightweight frame, that comes with adjustable padded shoulder straps, an adjustable sternum strap with an added emergency whistle, dual front mesh pockets, padded tablet and laptop compartment, lockable zips, and an internal key clip (which I thought was amazing, imagine getting back from your hike and not being able to find your key?!).
- The shoulder and hip straps are made from Spacermesh foam for maximum ventilation and comfort.
- If you feel like giving your back and shoulders a rest, it also comes with a useful carry handle.
Osprey Farpoint 40L Backpack Video Review
Capacity and dimensions
- It conforms to EU carry on luggage size
- It weighs a tiny 1.44kg!
- Dimensions: 54(L) x 35(W) x 37(D)cm
- Depending on your chest size, you're able to choose a smaller one or a larger one for the best fit and comfort.
If any of your straps are removable, then remove them. Then put into a sink or bathtub with warm soapy water and gently scrub away any dirt. When your satisfied that your backpack is clean, air out to dry. It's as simple as that!
So far, this backpack has received an overall of 4.9 stars on Google customer reviews from over 800+ consumers. They have reported that it was "the perfect size for 2 weeks backpacking in India" and that the pockets are "perfect sized and plenty of them too". One consumer also mentioned that they are a petite lady and the bag was perfect even for her to carry around.
- Lightweight bag and frame
- Choice on size depending on your chest size
- Padded shoulder and hip straps
- Perfect for a carry-on when travelling by plane
- Easy to wash
- Emergency whistle
- Quite pricey, but I definitely think it's worth the price
To buy this backpack, head over to Trekitt | Osprey Farpoint.
3. Ventura 40L Rucksack
Rating: 5.0 / 5.0
This backpack from Mountain Warehouse is not only super cheap, but stylish too. It comes with choice of four colors which are black, green, blue and red. It also comes with the choice of sizes for men, women and children too, which I think is a brilliant feature. It's friendly for the whole family. Other features include a compartment for your water bladder, but a bladder does not come included.
It also has an airflow back system, making sure that you keep cool and dry from sweat, a raincover, compression straps to help ease the load and also help keep your balance (a really great feature, especially for someone like me that loses balance even on the flat), sternum and hip straps to keep the backpack secure on your body.
- Shoulder straps are padded for comfort whilst hiking
- Well sewn so you can guarantee that they're not going to break or fray under the load
- Sternum strap is adjustable and great for tucking your map into for easy access
Ventura 40L Rucksack Video Review
Capacity and dimensions
- 22cm (w) x 62cm (h) x 32cm (d)
- It has enough space for all of your kit, including hiking boots, poles, sleeping bags, mats, pots, clothes, laptops etc.
This backpack has the added feature of being able to be washed in your machine. Simply ensure that everything has been removed, spin your machine to remove any left over detergent and add a small amount of gentle detergent to the wash. Hang out to dry naturally and ensure it is completely dry before storing. Do not tumble dry as this could damage and also shrink the bag!
At this time, the Ventura has received at least 4 star reviews on Mountain Warehouse's website. Consumers have said "I wanted a bag for day walks which had some air gap between my back and the bag... this is ideal!" And also "A good bag with plenty of pockets and different compartments. It's ability to expand or squish down is a definite advantage. Good for short backpacking trips.".
- Really cheap
- Suitable for the whole family, and comes in different sizes
- Airflow system to keep you dry and cool
- Easy to wash in the washing machine
- Well made
I found it really hard to find a downside to this backpack, but one consumer review mentioned that the compartment for the bladder pack doesn't have a hole for the tube to come through.
To buy this backpack, visit Mountain Warehouse
4. G4Free Outdoor Military Backpack
Rating: 4.0 / 5.0
This large backpack from G4Garden is not only really cheap, but comes in four different designs. These are black, green camouflage, tan and army green. It features a spacious main compartment with zip around closure, interior zip pocket and a mesh pocket. Crafted from nylon fabric, high intensity and durable; Adjustable & removable chest belt and hip belt, meaning not only can it be used for your hiking needs, but for everyday needs too!
- The shoulder straps are adjustable and padded for your comfort.
- It also features a carry handle
- Side compression straps for the ease of your load and also balance
- Removable chest and waist straps
G4Free Outdoor Military Backpack Video Review
Capacity and dimensions
- Very spacious main compartment and interior pouch
- Includes a mesh front pocket
- Extra front storage zip compartments
- One consumer mentioned that they use it to carry their school things, they live in two places with their mother and father and carry certain items between houses and they still have tons of space in the backpack.
The item description doesn't actually mention anything about washing this backpack. I did however, ask the community and a few consumers replied with this advice:
- Remove all items
- Immerse in warm water
- Pull the bag out and gently scrub with a sponge with a small amount of detergent on it
- Immerse bag again to wash off
- Leave to dry naturally
- Don't iron as this is a nylon material and could be ruined
To date, this backpack has received 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon out of 390 reviews. Many consumers have commented that they not only use it for their hiking needs but keep it in their car and use it as an emergency pack, as it's big enough to hold all of your essentials. One paramedic commented saying that it was "Sturdy and affordable" and another consumer reported that it is "well built, great price, and a great looking product".
- Large bag with many compartments for all of your needs
- Carry handle
- Removable sternum and waist straps
- Four different designs
- Side compression straps
- Only suitable for a 48-72 hour trip
A few consumer reviews mention that it's not the sturdiest of backpacks out on the market, but I think for the price, you're getting good value for money.
To get yourself this backpack, head over to Amazon
5. Teton Sports Backpack
Rating: 4.5 / 5.0
Teton Sports have created this very stylish backpack. It comes with the choice of three very exotic sounding colors which are coyote tan, hunter green or mecca orange. It also features a lightweight frame of 4.5lbs, perfect for a 2-4 day trek, multi-position torso adjustment that fits a wide range of body sizes, a durable open-cell foam lumbar pad and molded channels provide maximum comfort and airflow which will keep you nice and cool whilst hiking. It can hold a three liter water bladder.
Features a safety yellow rainfly that stays hidden until you need it, then pulls out to protect pack and gear. The main compartment closes securely with two barrel-lock drawstrings. The pack also has gear loops to hang ski poles, ice axe or a shovel and a top carry-loop to make it easy for loading into the car. Price wise it comes in at an averagely high price, but I definitely think it's worth it for all of the added features and compared to reviews.
- It comes with a torso and waist belt, holding you even more securely.
- Thick padded shoulder straps means no discomfort on your travels.
- The straps and base are made out of molded, breathable material to ensure the best airflow.
- Multi directional compression straps.
Teton Sports Backpack Video Review
Capacity and dimensions
- 30" x 17" x 12"
- Adjustable 15" - 19.5" with torso length
- Only 4.5lbs, so whatever you load into it, you won't feel the strain!
To clean this backpack it's as simple as making sure you use no harsh chemicals. Using a wet cloth and hanging to dry is the best method of cleaning. Tumble drying and ironing is not recommended.
So far, this backpack has received 4.6 stars out of 5 on Amazon out of 1000+ reviews. Many consumers commented saying that because it has an adjustable torso length it's suitable for many ages and sizes. One of the consumers asked the community if it would be suitable as a carry on. The reply was that if the bag wasn't stuffed too full then it would be fine. If the bag was too full however, it wouldn't fit into the above head cupboard on the plane.
- Adjustable torso length
- Easy to clean
- Multidirectional compression straps
- Thick shoulder straps, and the padding is made out of a durable material allowing you to stay cool.
- Suitable for a trek lasting several days
- Could work out quite pricey, but if you want good quality then it's definitely worth the price.
To buy this backpack, head over to Amazon.
There we have it, my top 5 40 liter backpacks on the market at this moment. Remember when buying a backpack to think about what you need to pack. Consumer reviews may state what they've packed which can be confusing when thinking about what you need. Look for the features that you need like an outside strap for your sleeping bag and mat or a rain cover if you're going somewhere that you'd expect a lot of rain.
I hope that this guide has helped you to know what to look for, and maybe even found you your perfect backpack! Happy trekking!