Best Authorized Military Boots Reviews
Whether you are signing up for military training or you are deployed, you need high-quality footwear. But it isn’t just a question of shopping for sturdy, lightweight, insulated boots—you also need to make sure they are regulation and you are not wearing banned boots.
* Here is our Top Recommended Authorized Military Boot on Amazon
Here is a list of the Best Authorized Military Boots
|Image||Authorized Military Boots||Rating|
|Belleville TR513 Men's Lightweight Hot Weather Boot||4.0 / 5.0|
|Danner Men’s Tachyon 8” Duty Boots||4.3 / 5.0|
|Rocky Men's 8 Inch S2v Fq0000105 Work Boot ||4.2 / 5.0|
|Belleville 350 Khyber II Mountain Hybrid Boot||4.4 / 5.0|
|Under Armour Men's UA Jungle Rat Boots||4.1 / 5.0|
|Bates Men's Ranger Hot Weather Comp Toe Military Boot||3.7 / 5.0|
|Belleville Tactical Research TR511 Mini-Mil Transition Boot||4.1 / 5.0|
|Bates Men's Cobra Hot Weather Coyote Tactical Army Boot||4.6 / 5.0|
|Belleville C795 Men's 200g Insulated Combat Boot||5.0 / 5.0|
|Blackhawk Men's Warrior Wear Desert Ops Boots||4.5 / 5.0|
|Belleville One Xero 320 Desert Tan Ultra Light Assault Boot||4.5 / 5.0|
|Men's Corcoran 10 inch Tanker Boots Desert Tan||3.8 / 5.0|
My son was getting ready for ranger training and needed help shopping for hot and cold weather AR 670-1 boots without buckles.
This is quite a complicated and confusing topic for a lot of people. There are a lot of military-style boots manufactured by brands which are inspired by regulation boots, but which actually are not regulation boots. They look like them and include some of the same features, but they do not fit the AR 670-1 requirements.
You can find the army’s official guide to footwear here.
AR 670-1 boots must:
- Measure 8-10 inches in height.
- Be made out of tan flesh-side-out cattle hide leather.
- Feature a plain toe and soling system which matches the color of the upper materials.
- Feature only rubber or polyester polyurethane as the out-sole materials. Other materials are problematic when exposed to various surfaces and temperatures. So this is an important safety consideration.
- Have soling materials no taller than two inches, measured from the bottom of the out-sole. Soling materials cannot cover the top of the toe or reach up the back of the heel.
- Feature leather and/or non-mesh fabric in the exterior of the upper part of the boot, not mesh.
The compliance guidelines were officially updated in March 2014, but the only significant change is that the boots policy is actually being enforced now.
Popular brands include:
- Garmont: Garmont boots are renowned for their toughness and comfort, as well as their versatility in a range of conditions. These boots are made of high quality materials and are considered by many to be top-of-the-line.
- Nike: Nike is of course best known for manufacturing shoes for sports. Nike’s military boots integrate those same athletic design principles into tactical footwear for comfort, durability and performance.
- Danner: Danner has been manufacturing boots since 1932. The company combines that boot-making tradition with modern technology to create durable boots which last. Their current boots feature Gore-Tex linings, Vibram soles and Ortholite footbeds for advanced performance.
- Bates: Bates has been manufacturing footwear since 1885. Over the course of more than a century, the brand has grown into a global juggernaut. Currently, Bates supplies durable, high-performance military and civilian uniformed services boots to forces in more than 80 countries.
- Rocky: Rocky has been manufacturing military and outdoor footwear since 1932. Rocky boots are known for their lightweight design and durable triple stitching. These boots also have laces which are designed for quick tying, ideal for those who may need to get their boots on in a hurry.
- Blackhawk: Blackhawk is a relative newcomer to the market of military boot manufacturers. Since 1993 however, the company has built a reputation for durable, comfortable military boots and other tactical attire.
- Reebok: Like Nike, Reebok is known for athletic footwear. Reebok’s experience manufacturing athletic shoes has allowed them to create comfortable, versatile military boots which offer superior freedom of movement.
- Belleville: As one of the biggest names in military boot manufacturing, Belleville has been designing quality tactical footwear since World War I. Their boots are comfortable and versatile, ideal for harsh environments.
Types of AR 670-1 compliant boots include:
- Lightweight boots. Most compliant military boots fall somewhere in this category. The lighter and more comfortable your boots are, the less fatiguing they are to wear, and the faster you can run.
- Water-resistant boots. Many combat boots also include some level of waterproofing. During training and duty, you will find yourself in all kinds of environments. These boots will keep your feet warm and dry.
- Boots for specific environments. There are a number of different boots under this umbrella: mountain military boots, jungle military boots, and desert/hot weather military boots are all great examples. There are even boots designed specifically for icy conditions. All of these boots include special features which maximize comfort and safety in harsh conditions.
- Crossover military boots. Also called “transition” boots, these boots are designed both for military and personal athletic use.
- Lace-free tactical boots. As the name indicates, these are tactical boots which are lace-free. Now, keep in mind that there are some situations where you may be forbidden from wearing buckles. So make sure that you are allowed to go this route before you purchase lace-free military boots.
- Safety toe boots. A safety toe boot is also known as a “steel toe boot.” The reinforced toe protects your feet from being crushed. Sometimes it is made of steel, but composite toes are available as well. Safety toe boots are not the most comfortable, but they are a good choice for protecting your feet. As a result, they are highly sought-after by many people shopping for AR 670-1 compliant boots.
Since we did all the research shopping for my son, I figured I would make life easier for other folks out there shopping for AR 670-1 compliant boots by sharing what I discovered. Following are brief reviews of some popular and highly-rated AR 670-1 compliant military boots which you can purchase online.
Best Overall Value Boot:
Rocky Men's 8 Inch S2v Fq0000105 Work Boot
This is our pick for the best overall military boot. The consensus rating is that these boots deserve 4.5 out of 5 stars, and while they are more expensive than some boots on our list (currently priced on the market between $200-$300), they offer the best value.
What makes these boots our top recommended choice? The Rocky Men's 8 Inch S2v Fq0000105 Work Boot features rugged construction while offering a comfortable fit. These boots feature advanced S2V sieve technology for air circulation, keeping your feet cool and dry in warm conditions. They are also water-resistant and reasonably well-insulated however, so you can wear them wet or cool conditions as well. Since they are sturdy, durable, and suitable for a range of environments, they are arguably the most versatile and reliable boots on our list.
You can read more about the Rocky Men's 8 Inch S2v Fq0000105 Work Boot in our reviews below.
Best Lightweight Military Boots:
Belleville TR513 Men's Lightweight Hot Weather Boot
Rating: 4.0 / 5.0
You will discover quickly that many military boots fall into a couple of different categories. The Belleville TR513 is both a lightweight boot and a boot designed for hot conditions, making it ideal for reducing fatigue on long desert missions. Ratings for these boots average around 4 stars, and they are currently priced around $100-$150 on the market.
- Standard military height and materials
- The outsole is resistant to oil and slips
- Contains a TR-1® load-bearing orthotic insole for comfort
- Breathable and ventilated
What the Belleville TR513 Is Best For
This boot works perfectly for any hot environment, be it a desert or any other location with a scorching climate. It is also a great choice even in more temperate locales if you are going to be going on long, demanding missions. The lightweight profile of the boot will keep your feet from fatiguing while the ventilation will prevent overheating.
Pros and Cons
According to customers, these boots offer superior support for both the ankle and the heel. They are an excellent choice for garrison boots.
Sizing Tips: One thing to know before ordering is that these do tend to run a big large, so you may need to order a size smaller than you typically would in order to get the best fit.
Danner Men’s Tachyon 8” Duty Boots
Rating: 4.3 / 5.0
These military boots are an even better choice in the lightweight category. They are very popular, and have a consensus rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. You can buy them in the $25-$180 price range. That is quite a wide bracket, so if you can get a deal on these at the lower end, you will be getting an amazing value.
- Available in four different colors
- Made of fabric with a rubber sole
- Heel measures 1”
- The upper is made out of synthetic ultralight materials which dry quickly
What the Danner Men’s Tachyon Is Best For
I have actually found conflicting information over whether this boot is definitely AR 670-1 compliant, though it does meet USAF AFI 36-2903. So I suggest double-checking on this boot before you buy it. That said, if indeed it does meet the standards, it is an excellent choice for any duty which requires you to be on your feet for long periods of time, and/or operations which take you to hot climates.
Pros and Cons
These boots truly are lightweight—so much so that customers have indicated that they are feather-light and feel almost more like running shoes than military boots. Because they are so light, you can run in them with ease. As far as drawbacks, they are not waterproof, so you will want to spray them before you wear them in any wet situation.
Sizing Tips: A number of customers have reported size issues with these boots. Some customers have tried multiple sizes to no avail, but the consensus seems to be that on average, the boots run half a size small. So if you order half a size larger than you typically wear, you should be in good shape.
Best Water Resistant Military Boots:
Rocky Men's 8 Inch S2v Fq0000105 Work Boot
Rating: 4.2 / 5.0
This waterproof boot is classified on some sites as a work boot, but it does meet AR 670-1 compliance standards, so you can use it for tactical wear as well. They are fairly popular, with the consensus rating averaging out to around 4.5 out of 5 stars. Right now on the market they are priced in the $200-$300 range.
- Color: Desert Tan
- Synthetic sole
- Roll-stop ankle stability reduces your chances of sustaining an injury
- S2V sieve technology improves circulation, bringing air in and keeping water out
- Triple-stitched for extra durability
- The leather upper is water-resistant
What the Rocky Men's 8 Inch S2v Fq0000105 Work Boot Is Best For
If you are going to be in a situation where you will be running through puddles, mud, snow, and so on, these water-resistant boots will help to keep your feet warm and dry. They are comfortable, rugged, and relatively lightweight, though not as lightweight as boots which are specifically sold in that category. They are however better insulated than most lightweight combat boots, so they are an excellent all-around choice.
Pros and Cons
Customers report that these boots are not only incredibly comfortable, but also surprisingly solid in terms of construction. Buyers who say that their tactical boots usually fall apart on them fast were pleasantly surprised by how well the Rocky Men's 8 Inch S2v Fq0000105 held up, even over months of ruck marching over long distances carrying heavy weight. Any downsides? Some customers said that they had a hard time keeping the laces tied.
Sizing Tips: A few customers have said that these boots may run a little small. You may want to order half a size up.
Best Mountain Military Boots:
Belleville 350 Tactical Research Khyber II Mountain Hybrid Boot
Rating: 4.4 / 5.0
These lightweight mountain boots are even more popular than the previous pair, with customer ratings online averaging out to an impressive 4.5 out of 5 stars. So this is a reliable and highly rated choice, and you can be sure you are getting a quality mountain boot in the $120-$140 price range.
- Leather construction with a Vibram sole
- Lace-to-Toe style allows for a customized fit
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Breathable Combat Lunar Lining
- TR-1 Load Bearing Orthotic Insole
- Heel and toe overlays and kicker are serrated to help brake slides and prevent slips and falls
What the Belleville 350 Tactical Research Khyber II Mountain Hybrid Boot Is Best For
Belleville designed these boots with the help of consultants in the special forces community. Wear these boots when you are climbing over rocky or mountainous terrain and need serious traction on uneven surfaces. The serrated overlays and kicker will prevent dangerous slips and falls, offering you the purchase you need to keep moving safely and comfortably ahead.
Pros and Cons
Buyers report that these boots provide excellent traction and support while climbing rocks, and that they are incredibly durable and can provide you with long-term wear before you need to replace them. In fact, some customers have said that they actually last so long that you might not even fully wear them out before you decide to buy new boots them simply to try something different. Are there any problems with these boots? The insole isn’t all that great, so if you have a flat foot or a high arch, you may need to purchase a solid set of insoles to enhance your comfort. These boots also are not waterproof, which may be a problem in certain environments.
Sizing Tips: Some buyers say these boots run about half a size large, but most report that they fit true to size.
Best Jungle Military Boots:
Under Armour Men's UA Jungle Rat Boots
Rating: 4.1 / 5.0
If you are shopping for a tactical boot which is appropriate for jungle conditions, the Under Armour Men’s UA Jungle Rat Boots are an excellent choice. These popular boots tend to pull in an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars. Right now, you can buy them in the $120-$135 range online.
- Available in four different colors
- Leather and 900D nylon textiles keep upper soft and lightweight
- Equipped with anti-microbial Ortholite sockliner
- Includes Micro G® midsole with reinforced TPU shank to boost stability
- DWR finish keeps moisture out of your boot without compromising on ventilation
What the Under Armour Men’s UA Jungle Rat Boot Is Best For
As the name indicates, these boots are ideal for jungle settings and other hot, humid environments. These are challenging environments to create shoes for, because most boots which are heavily insulated against moisture also tend to be hot and heavy—suitable for colder climates, not warmer settings. Jungle boots offer a balance between insulation and ventilation, keeping water out while allowing air to circulate.
Pros and Cons
These boots are lightweight, comfortable, and well-ventilated, making them great for walking and running in a wide variety of environments. They are durable and hold up well for the most part, though multiple buyers did mention that there are some problems with cheap laces and eyelets. Still, buyers do indicate that the company is fast to replace the boots if there is a problem under warranty. So Under Armour offers great customer service, and that is always a plus.
Sizing Tips: Most buyers say that these boots fit true to size.
Best Safety Toe Military Boots:
Bates Men's Ranger Hot Weather Comp Toe Military Boot
Rating: 3.7 / 5.0
If you are hunting for a safety toe boot, the Bates Men’s Ranger Hot Weather Boot featuring a composite toe is a great buy, currently available on the market in the $40-$170 range. There are only a few customer ratings as of the time of this writing, but the consensus seems to be around 4 stars.
- Made out of tough cattle hide leather and abrasion-resistant nylon
- The lining is breathable to keep air circulating
- Padded collar and EVA-cushioned midsole and stabilizing nylon shank increase comfort
- The rubber outsole features extra traction to reduce slips and falls
- Composite safety toe: astm f2413-11
What the Bates Men’s Ranger Hot Weather Composite Toe Boot Is Best For
Many duties are safer to perform if you are wearing a composite toe boot. If you work in a job which requires you to routinely lift and move heavy objects, these boots can prevent your feet from getting crushed if you drop something on your toes. These boots can also prevent accidents in the field. If for example you slip while crossing rocky terrain and your feet get caught between two rocks, you are less likely to end up with crushed toes.
Pros and Cons
According to buyers, these boots are roomy, but still fit true to size. So you can wear them with heavy socks for winter if you need to. They are a bit awkward, but this is par the course with safety toe boots. They are however very lightweight, which makes them a comfortable and non-fatiguing choice for extended wear.
Sizing Tips: Buyers report that these boots are more or less true to size, though you could go a half size smaller if you wished. If you order your own size, they should be on the roomy side, but still fit—perfect if you want to wear them with winter socks.
Best Crossover Military Boots:
Belleville Tactical Research TR511 Mini-Mil Transition Boot
Rating: 4.1 / 5.0
These tactical transition boots are currently on the market for $120-$140, and have an average rating of around 4 out of 5 stars. As crossover/transition boots, they are designed to offer a lighter, more natural fit and range of motion than traditional duty boots. This makes them ideal both for servicemen and athletes. Even though they are not strictly speaking traditional duty boots, they are fully compliant with AR 670-1.
- Made from flesh-out suede leather and 1000 denier Cordura nylon
- Hydrophilic lining and Aero-Spacer technology keeps your feet cool and dry
- Lightweight: Less than one pound per boot
- Compression-molded EVA midsole and single density molded EVA insole provide support and comfort
- Vibram outsole is resistant to oil and slips
- A pull-on loop makes it easy to put these boots on and take them off
What the Belleville Tactical Research TR511 Mini-Mil Transition Boot Is Best For
You should consider purchasing these boots if you are looking for something more “minimal” and streamlined than your typical duty boots. You will find them comfortable, flexible, and versatile, perfect not just for duty, but also for weekend runs and other athletic activities.
Pros and Cons
These military boots are incredibly lightweight. In fact, the consensus among buyers is that they are so light that the box almost feels empty!
Sizing Tips: Some buyers report these boots run half a size large, while others report they run half a size small. This may have to do with the fact that these boots fit more like a shoe than a typical boot. That is something important to consider when it comes to selecting your size. These boots may also be particularly suited to those with wider feet.
Best Hot Weather Military Boots:
Bates Men's Cobra Hot Weather Coyote Tactical Army Boot
Rating: 4.6 / 5.0
These military boots only have a few reviews as of the time of this writing, but ratings average out to 4.5 out of 5 stars, so buyers have good experiences with them. You can purchase them in the $100-$150 price range right now.
- Constructed from abrasion resistant nylon and flesh-out cattle hide leather
- Padded collar adds to your comfort
- The lining is breathable to ensure your feet stay cool and dry
- Endurance performance system keeps your feet from fatiguing, even on ruck marches
What the Bates Men's Cobra Hot Weather Coyote Tactical Army Boot Is Best For
These boots were designed specifically for hot weather wear. Keep in mind however that they are more ideally suited for drier climates; there is no water-resistance. If you want waterproofing for a hot and humid climate with a lot of precipitation, jungle boots make more sense.
Pros and Cons
According to customers, these boots are snug, so they are not the most flexible choice if you prefer something minimal (the transition boots above are better for that). They do however offer a ton of structure and support. Buyers like the way the sole angles up at the front. This prevents jarring when you are running (a common problem with standard-issue duty boots).
Sizing Tips: If you need extra room for winter socks, you probably should purchase a size larger than you typically would wear.
Just make sure that if you do buy a size larger that you are going to wear the socks; otherwise you will likely get blisters on your heels. With the right fit and the right socks, your feet should be quite immobile in the shoes while marching or running. This reduces chafing and fatigue.
Best Military Boots for Icy Conditions:
Belleville C795 Men's 200g Insulated Combat Boot
Rating: 5.0 / 5.0
If you are looking for an insulated boot which is ideal for icy conditions, the Belleville C795 Men's 200g is worth considering. There is not a lot of feedback on this boot online, but the consensus appears to be around 5 stars. You can buy the boot on the market right now in the $175-$200 range.
- Materials include nylon fabric and full-grain cowhide leather
- The midsole is cushioned polyurethane and the outsole is Vibram® Sierra FIRE & ICE™. This compound boosts traction specifically in icy conditions.
- There is a removable insole insert made of polyurethane
- Gore-Tex® waterproofing keeps moisture out
What the Belleville C795 Men's 200g Insulated Combat Boot Is Best For
These boots are ideal for cold climates. They are heavily insulated and waterproofed so you can wear them in snow and slush. The outsole is a special rubber compound which stays pliable in cold temperatures (other rubbers tend to harden). This provides you with stronger traction, preventing slips on icy patches.
Pros and Cons
There is very little feedback from wearers right now, but we can identify some pros and cons simply by considering the design of the boots. The strong insulation makes them perfect for ice and snow, but are likely not the most breathable boots as a result. This means they would not be appropriate in warm climates. I have already shared some boots which are better for hot climates—and have included another below.
Sizing Tips: While there is not a lot of customer feedback on this particular pair of boots, it is common for Belleville boots to run half a size large.
Best Military Boots for Desert Ops:
Blackhawk Men's Warrior Wear Desert Ops Boots
Rating: 4.5 / 5.0
Available in the $90-$210 price range right now, these combat boots are a very popular choice for desert ops. Numerous buyers have given them an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- Made of lightweight, abrasion resistant suede leather with CORDURA panels for water resistance and ventilation
- Vibram “Multisport” outsole contains a TC4+ oil-resistant compound. The open lugs offer optimal traction on angled surfaces
- Tongue is fully gusseted to keep out debris
- Extra suede layers and toe reinforcement prevent abrasion and scuffing
- Dri-Lex inner lining wicks sweat away, keeping your feet dry
- The Ortholite footbed is antimicrobial, custom-molded, and washable, offering resistance to abrasion so that it will hold up to rugged wear
What the Blackhawk Men's Warrior Wear Desert Ops Boot Is Best For
Just as the name implies, these are amazing boots for desert ops. You could wear them comfortably in any hot environment, however. It is quite impressive that they also offer water-resistance, so even outside of arid locales, they could continue to serve you. The Vibram “Multisport” outsole is also a fantastic feature, making these excellent boots for crossing rocky or uneven terrain.
Pros and Cons
What do customers say about these boots? Customers say that these boots are incredibly lightweight, almost like wearing tennis shoes. They also mention that they grip well on rocky trails and that the water-resistance is effective, but that it should not be confused with waterproofing.
So you can wear them in damp environments, but if your feet are going to be submerged at any point, you would be better off with another boot. Some customers did mention that these boots buckled under wear and tear fairly quickly, which is a definite drawback—but also that the customer service team is fast to repair or replace on warranty.
Sizing Tips: These boots run relatively true to size. They are roomy enough for heavy socks, but not so large that you need to order half a size small just to get them to fit. Note however that if you have wide feet, you may still be more comfortable ordering half a size larger than you typically wear.
Best Light Assault Military Boots:
Belleville One Xero 320 Desert Tan Ultra Light Assault Boot
Rating: 4.5 / 5.0
For a light assault boot, a great choice is the Belleville One Xero 320. This boot is currently on the market for $160-$200, and at present has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
- This lightweight boot is made out of flesh-out suede leather and nylon fabric
- Contains a removable polyurethane insert
- Vibram sole provides excellent traction
- Midsole is made of UL235 ULTRA-LITE polyurethane
- Each boot weighs around 20 ounces
What the Belleville One Xero 320 Desert Tan Ultra Light Assault Boot Is Best For
These boots are in a sense similar to the transition boots I shared earlier. They are sturdy and provide a lot of support, so they are perfect for ruck marching and hold up well to ongoing use. At the same time, they are extremely lightweight and comfortable, providing you with the performance you need to move fast when it is necessary. As the name implies, they are intended for infantry assault ops.
Pros and Cons
According to customers, the Belleville One Xero 320 Desert Tan Ultra Light Assault Boots are very comfortable, cool and breathable, extremely lightweight, and very durable. Buyers have used them in both desert and jungle conditions and have found them to be versatile enough to function well in both environments. This makes them one of the best all-around choices.
Sizing Tips: These boots tend to run half a size large. Customers with wide feet note that the wide formats actually are wide and fit comfortably (not common with military boots).
Best Lace-Free Military Boots:
Men's Corcoran 10 inch Tanker Boots Desert Tan
Rating: 3.8 / 5.0
These military boots are different from the rest on this list because they close with buckles, not lace. You can purchase them in the $150-$210 range. The average rating right now is 4 out of 5 stars. Incidentally, they are quite stylish.
- Manufactured from desert flesh-out leather
- Feature Goodyear Patented Flex-Welt™ construction allows for flexibility without damaging the leather
- Ankle support prevents sprains and strains
- Straps are extra wide and feature heavy-duty no-rust steel roller buckles
- Flexible outsole is made out of oil-resistant polyurethane
- Removable polyurethane insert wicks away moisture
What the Men's Corcoran 10 inch Tanker Boots Desert Tan Boot Is Best For
These boots are ideal for garrison use. Make sure to double-check before you purchase them however, as there are situations in the military where buckles are forbidden and laces are a requirement. They also work really well as work boots.
Pros and Cons
Customer reviews of these boots indicate that they are very comfortable and that they hold up great to wear and tear. Buyers report that these boots can stand up to daily wear for years before needing replacement. Many other military boots wear out after just six months—or less. The only potential drawback involves sizing issues. More than one customer mentioned the boots were too large, but some also stated that they were too small.
Sizing Tips: Fitting these shoes can be a challenge. Some buyers have mentioned they run small, but most have stated they run as much as a full size large.
Conclusion: There Is a AR 670-1 Military Boot For Every Need
No matter where you are going to be training or stationed, there is an ideal boot which is going to be a perfect fit not just for your feet, but also for your situation. That means your first step in shopping for a pair of tactical boots is always going to be to think about where you will be wearing the boots and what you will be doing. Will you be doing a lot of ruck marching? Running? Climbing? Will the temperature be hot or cold? Will you be contending with slick or uneven surfaces? Once you have that figured out, you can buy a boot which is going to offer you the comfort, durability, insulation and breathability you need to perform at your very best.