There are rifle scopes to fit anyone’s personal preference, in any price range. Compact scopes are lightweight and ideal for handguns and mini rifles, without sacrificing efficiency, while laser scopes or sniper scopes are ideal for long-range shooting.
Here, we will discuss five of the best scopes available for a variety of needs, so you can choose the best equipment to suit your personal requirements.
Here is a list of the Best Hunting Rifle Scopes
Hunting Rifle Scopes
* We also put together a post on the Best Hunting Rifle Scope under 200.
Nikon P-223 3-9x40 Mate BDC 600
Rating - 4.8/5
This scope consistently ranks highly in reviews, and it’s easy to see why. While there are more advanced scopes on the market, the Nikon P-223 is not only sturdy, it’s affordable. At around $130, it’s a great choice for people hunting a scope that won’t break the bank. One of the highlight features of this scope is dials to zero out and adjust for windage and elevation. This scope can appear blurry under ambient or artificial light, but is better designed for long distance outdoor use. Marked best for AR, it takes 1” mounts, and can be fixed or set to removed and mounted on multiple rifles. Has a range of around 100 yards to around 800 yards.
- Dials to adjust for wind and elevation.
- Has built in “eye relief” that remains rigid even with severe recoils.
- The turrets are directly accessible, which is a surprising feature at a scope of this price range.
- Is waterproof
- Can be blurry under artificial light. Not a problem outdoors, however.
- Not a compact scope, so less lightweight. This is only a con for handgun or mini rifle users.
- Some users say that, over time, the dials can get loose or the accuracy can go down. Given the price range, though, this scope is easier to replace than one that costs upwards of a thousand or more.
Vortex Optics SPR-1303 Spitfire 3x Prism Scope with EBR-556B Reticle
This is a super compact scope with high accuracy at close to medium range, ideal from around 100-300 yards. It’s fairly cheap for a compact scope, but is highly ranked for the consistent quality. Many reviewers also highly rank Vortex’s customer service, which is important with any large purchase. This scope is incredibly lightweight and portable, ideal for range-shooting or shorter range hunting.
- Lightweight and very portable.
- High accuracy at closer ranges.
- No need to mount on a base.
- Some reviewers mention the loosening of the screws beneath the optic mount.
- This scope is not ideal for long-range shooting. This, however, is not a problem for those looking for closer range accuracy.
- The reticle dot can be small, which is a complaint for those with less than perfect eyesight. Again, for those who do not struggle with the small reticle dot, this is not an issue.
Leupold VX-I Rifle Scope
Rating - 4.9/5
This affordable scope - around $200 on Amazon - is one of the highest rated in its class. It has a lockable eyepiece for a more secure focus, and finger-adjustable dials for zeroing in the field. This scope is sealed for both fog and water. This scope is known for incredibly clear glass, which is ideal for varied shooting conditions over distance. Ideal for 200-300 yards.
- This scope is great for even low-light conditions.
- Can be mounted on various rifles, with a matching base.
- Clear glass
- Lockable eyepiece
- Scope is not adjustable, so there is not a large range in vision distance. This isn’t a problem for people who have specific distance purposes in mind, however, such as hunting or mid-distance range shooting.
- This scope can be expensive to repair, often leading some consumers to purchase new instead of attempting to get an old scope fixed. Depending on your budget, this could be either not a big deal or a hinderance.
Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic
Rating - 4.8/5
This super-compact scope is more suited to those shopping for range or home defense technology. It is idealized for difficult conditions, such as lighting, and can easily be customized with an added night vision sensor. It’s a bit expensive at around $430 - though cheap within others of this style - but is based on scopes from law enforcement to use in quick-shot scenarios. This scope is ideal for short-range with no adjusting, set to around 100 yards.
- Small, portable, very lightweight. Ideal for handguns or mini rifles.
- Excellent for quick shots, and serves well with low and no light technology.
- Has a three year battery life.
- Is waterproof up to 150 ft.
- Not ideal for larger firearms, but is not an issue for those with mini rifles.
- Not great for long-range shooting, set to around 100 yards. This is not a great medium or long range hunting scope, though it is great for short range.
- Can have image obstruction issues with some rifle types, it will not co-witness.
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 Riflescope
Rating - 4.9/5
This scope is highly rated, optimized for middle range shooting from around 200 yards to around 600 yards. It is a bit pricy at upwards of $500, but is considered great value for the amount by many consumers. Not only waterproof, this scope is able to function well in low light conditions.
- Low light capable and waterproof
- Many reviews comment on the clearness of the optics. This scope is adjusted to keep images clear at long distances.
- Vortex is known for great customer service, which is always important when making a large purchase such as this.
- The illuminated scope, while working great in low light or night firing, doesn’t work well in daylight or bright light scenarios.
- The price is high, which can be a barrier to some shopping for this style of scope.
- Is not compact, and so is not as lightweight as some available models. This is not an issue for those not looking for a compact scope, however.
- Some users do say that the zoom ring can be a bit stiff at first, though it does loosen over time.
These are five of the highest rated scope models currently on the market, and we’ve tried to cover a variety of models to meet the needs of anyone hunting for a rifle scope. It’s important to know what requirements you need when researching the ideal scope for you - to know distance, lighting, or speed in adjustments. Any one of these five would be a great place to start, though, to find the ideal equipment to suit your purpose. Happy shooting!