Waterproof hiking pants are the modern addition to rain jackets. Hiking in dry summer seasons can be a little better but hiking in rainy and wet season is quite a tough job and that is when a pair of waterproof hiking pants can add a little comfort in your hiking experience. These waterproof pants are so designed that it prevents the rain water to penetrate inside. What’s noticeable is whether it is capable of releasing the inner moisture outside or not! As it becomes a matter of concern while hitting the summit.
Here is a list of the Best Waterproof Hiking Pants
Waterproof Hiking Pants
Waterproof pants use such nylons that not only prevent the mountaineer from rainy and stormy weather up there but also is comfortable, light- weighed and durable in the long treks. In addition to these, the modern waterproof hiking pants also includes articulated knees, zip-off legs etc. to serve the hikers efficiently.
Things to Consider While Selecting Your Waterproof Hiking Pants:
- Weight, Size and Mobility
- Color of the pants
- Fabric layers
- Pockets and zip-off legs
Waterproof hiking pants are manufactured with several materials intended for various functionalities. Hiking Pants are usually made of quick-drying fabrics such as spandex or nylon which is responsible for durability. Hiking pants can also be prepared of synthetic materials which keeps body dry while sweating or when it’s raining.The best materials are light weight,soft and moisture wiping. Techwick is such a material which is used for skin-tight base layer. Polyester generally allows our body to breathe easily and much more by releasing body heat to keep us comfortable so it is used in inner layer to keep our body dry. Merino wool is also used to dent moisture and keep body odors away. It also controls our body temperature when any temperature drop occurs at high altitude or due to cold.
Weight, Size and Mobility:
Weight could be an important measure as trekking or mountaineering requires quickness and agility and if pants are not light weight that may hinder one’s performance over mountains. These waterproof hiking pants are always manufactured with the intention that it’s comfortable for hiker and they don’t have to face any issues while movement. Since its use is restricted to rainy hours, these are designed to be packable. Of course, size matters. If you select a wrong pair of hiking pants for yourselves that could turn out to be another pain while trekking.
Color of the Pants:
People do select color of the pants as per their preference or fashion sense but believe me color of these hiking pants have a lot to do with your trekking. Like light colored pants would keep you cooler and since we are talking about waterproof hiking pants for rainy season dark colored pants are preferred as they would absorb heat from sun and will keep you comparably warmer. You can have a wide range of options in light as well as dark colors. So, next time choose wisely whenever you hit the trails.
It usually requires three layers of apparels to be worn.
- The first layer is mostly of synthetic material which draws moisture out of body.
- The second layer is made of material with high thermal insulation capacity which neutralize the body heat and maintain the body temperature.
- The last layer is wind-water resistant layer which prevents penetration of wind or water inside our body.
Pockets and zip-off legs:
While climbing mountains it is difficult carrying multiple things and with that if one thing can fulfill multiple purposes then it’s a boon. Pockets can carry multiple utilities for yourself and zip-off leg is another add on you may cherish over the mountains. You can wear it the way you prefer be it pants or shorts. Like I personally prefer shorts whenever I go hiking while many of my friends say they do prefer full pants. Choose it the way you like.
Taped seams are an essential when you select your waterproof hiking pants as the needle holes created at times of sewing should be covered perfectly for a complete waterproof hiking experience.
Best Waterproof Hiking Pants:
1. Singbring Men's Outdoor Lightweight Quick Dry Hiking Pants
Rating: 4.3 / 5.0
- Material: Soft shell polyester
- Fitting: Comfortable
- Zippered front pockets
- Tagged in: Outdoor pants for hiking,climbing,traveling,camping,mountaineering, fishing
- User Rating – 3.8 out of 5
- Price: Below 30$
- Pros: Good fitting
2. Makino Men's Hiking Pants Quick Dry Gear Lightweight for Boys Summer Pant
Rating: 4.4 / 5.0
- Material:90% Polyester + 10% Spandex (4-Way Spandex Fabric with Omni-Shade UPF 30 Sun Protection, Wear-resistant Fabric & Design for Your Knees, Suitable for Indoor and Outdoor Exercise)
- Fitting:Asian size (2 size smaller than US size)
- Light weight and quick dry. This provides you with more personalized fitting with the presence of 2 elastic waistbands.
- 4 LARGE POCKETS: Branded Zip-Close Security for 4 Large Capacity Pockets with vibrant Color, Good for Men's utilities.
- User Rating – 4.4 out of 5
- Price: Below 35$
- Pros: Quick dry, Light Weight
3. 4ucycling MensWindstopper Casual Outdoor and Multi Sporting Pants Fleeced
Rating: 4.5 / 5.0
- Double-layer synthetic material (75% polyester)
- Breathable material on the back (85% polyester, 15% spandex)
- Zippered pockets. 375 customer reviews and average rating: 4.4 out of 5.
- Pros: Worked great in light rain. Decent in heavier rain.
- Cons: Seems are itchy inside. Almost necessary to wear long undergarments.
4. Yoyo MensSoftshell Pants Waterproof Windproof Hiking Outdoor Soft Shell Trousers 1607
Rating: 4.8 / 5.0
- Fitting: US size
- UV Protection, Quick Drying
- Light weighted
- Average rating: 4.8
- Pros: Protects from heavy rain
- Cons: They run a bit small
5. Nonwe Men's Outdoor Quick Dry Water-resistant Breathable Cargo Pants
Rating: 4.0 / 5.0
- Material: 88% Nylon and 12% Spandex
- Button with zipper fly closure.
- Water-resistant, breathable, lightweight, quick dry, wearing comfortable.
- Average rating: 3.8
- Pros: Good Water resistant
Pros and Cons
- Light weight
- Some hiking pants may result in reduction of efficiency in long run as they lose breathability resulting in penetration of water and moisture inside.
After reviewing different waterproof hiking pants what I observed, using it for hiking is definitely a wise choice. Despite of a few issues regarding breathability and durability with a few hiking pants, there are plenty of waterproof hiking pants available that serve the purpose. What we should be more careful about is selecting the correct pants for oneself based upon one’s requirement and factors that should be taken care of. Selecting correct pants will definitely help you with a better hiking experience.