Are you looking to hit that long distance target? Long range shooting is without a doubt one of the most exhilarating activities ever. We all have different skill levels. Oddly enough, no marksman or hunter can admit to being a lousy shot. In fact, we all think of ourselves as being the Davy Crockett of today. It’s a simple matter that’s decided the moment you pull the trigger. The accuracy of your shot defines you. Nevertheless, whether you are hunting or it is just for fun, there is no denying that it is one of the best pass-time activities.
How do you make the perfect shot? Sniper school will improve your skills and judgment, but there's more: the rifle itself. Your rifle is only as accurate as you make it. Now unless you have super powers that allow you to zoom in on distant objects, you need a good riflescope for an easier and more enjoyable time with your rifle.
In my experience, the choice of riflescope can either make or break the whole encounter. It is therefore super important to make sure that you get the very best that you can find and you can afford. As I was shopping for one of my own, I was quite literally spoilt for choice given how many amazing options there are in the market. However, I settled for Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16 x 44 Riflescope and I can safely say that I do not regret my choice.
Features of the Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16 x 44 Riflescope
After using the riflescope and comparing with other models in the market, I can confidently say that the Vortex viper is a great product. Below are a few of my favorite features and specifications.
The riflescope uses extra low dispersion (XD) lenses. These are designed to increase resolution ensuring that you have sharp and crystal clear images. I find this very useful especially when I use it for target practice where clarity is vital. The XD lenses also improve color fidelity. This means that from whatever distance, you can clearly discern different colors and patterns. This comes in very handy when the riflescope is being used for competitive long range shooting. It is also great when you want to use the riflescope for bird watching as I sometimes do.
The lens system provides a zoom range of 4-16x which is great for all sorts of applications from hunting to surveillance.
The lenses also happen to be fully coated with proprietary coating material. This is designed to increase light transmission which improves the quality of the images. The coating also prevents unwanted reflection of incoming light rays that may make viewing difficult.
Single piece straight tube design
Unlike many magnifying optic instruments, the Vortex viper riflescope comes as a single piece with no detachable parts. The tube measures 30 mm in diameter and houses within it the elaborate lens system that allows you to see so far away. Its straight design maximizes alignment for more accurate viewing. The single piece nature is also a great advantage in many ways. One way is that it makes storage and transport a whole lot easier. It also save you time as there is no need to assemble any pieces before use. Finally, it provides strength and sturdiness such that there is a lower risk of damage in case it falls.
Waterproof and Fog proof adaptations
The water proof nature is due to two features of the riflescope. The first is, as mentioned above, that it is a single tube. The fact that there are no parts that can move or be removed means that water has no way in. The second feature that ensures the waterproofness is an airtight seal at the eyepiece and front lens ends. The two O-rings keep out not only water but also dust and other debris from the environment.
The tube undergoes argon gas purging during manufacture. This prevents fogging in the tubes interior that my blur images.
The waterproof and fog proof features make it possible to use the riflescope under any environmental conditions. I have had a chance to use it in the rain and I had absolutely no problems with the riflescope during and after the activity.
The Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16 x 44 is by far one of the strongest, sturdiest and most resilient riflescopes I have ever used. These amazing virtues can be attributed to the models, exterior design. In addition to being straight, the tube is made out of airplane grade Aluminum material which makes it super strong. The exterior is painted black with an additional ArmorTek coating. This acts as a protective layer against scratching and staining. This makes it easy to maintain and keeps it looking new and elegant for a very long time.
Easy adjustment features
The Vortex viper riflescope uses a tactical elevation turret. This makes it easy to make and read adjustments made on the riflescope for comfortable and accurate viewing. This is used to adjust magnification and resolution before putting it to use.
It also has a side focus feature located left side of the tube. This allows you to make adjustments while you are actually using the instrument to bring images into fine focus without having to break contact.
Finally, you can use the customizable rotational stop (CRS) to make any necessary adjustment for the best viewing experience. The CRS allows you to retain the dial back to zero to correct focus when elevation changes.
The three specifications allow you to make adjustments necessary to view your target comfortably and clearly. A Precision-Force spring system is used to ensure that all the adjustments are easy and can be done over and over without any complication.
Dead-hold BDC reticle
The reticle is without a doubt one of the most important parts of the riflescope. This is because it plays a major role in determining image quality and clarity in different conditions. The Vortex viper’s holdover reticle has a glass-etched construction with no illumination thus enhancing its effectiveness. Compared with other riflescopes that I have used with different reticle specifications, I find this one of the best. The only problem is that it is not always very useful in low light conditions.
The riflescope measures 17.8 x 4.4 x 6.6 inches. These dimensions make it easy and convenient to use, carry around and store. It weighs a mere 1.2 pounds which is also highly convenient in terms of transport and use.
Other great features
- It has a fast focus eyepiece. This makes reticle focusing quick and easy. This is an advantage when the riflescope is being used in hunting where speed is of the essence.
- It has a radius bar that acts as an indicator that allows you to visualize turret rotations.
- It has a MAG-view fiber optic indicator. This is a simple feature but I find it one of the most important. The indicator acts as a reference point for magnification specification. This comes in very handy during target practice where you can identify the ideal magnification power for a certain distance for future reference and use.
- It comes with its own lens caps. If you have every owned a riflescope or any other optic instrument, then you know first-hand that lens protection is the top priority. The caps provided are useful for protecting the lenses especially during storage and transport.
Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16×44 Riflescope Video Review
- It is easy and safe to store. The one-piece tube has no removable parts so you do not have to worry about losing any.
- Sturdy and durable due to the use of aircraft grade Aluminum.
- It is easy to use.
- It is waterproof and fog proof thus can be used in any weather.
- It is elegant and aesthetically appealing with a professional feel.
- Fast and accurate adjustments with the exposed evaluation turret.
- It is durable and low maintenance due to the ArmorTek coating.
- It has low glare due to the anodized finish and is thus ideal when discretion is vital.
- The reticle is thin and this reduces the effectiveness of the riflescope as light intensity reduces. This makes hunting or shooting in low light conditions a little difficult especially for people who have problems with their eyesight. However, this is not a very common problem and most people, me included, have had no trouble using the rifle scope in low light.
Summary of customer reviews
Based on most online review platforms, almost every person who has had the chance to use the Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16 x 44 Riflescope agrees that it is a great shooting aid. I couldn’t agree more. The most popular features include the high magnification power, the reticle type, the ease of use and the accuracy. However, there are many people who believe that even though the Viper is amazing, there are more affordable options that are just as awesome. There are also a few people who complain about the thin lens especially when using it in low light environments. Either way, there is a consensus from all people that have used it that the Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16 x 44 is one heck of a riflescope and is definitely worth a try.
1. Q. In what colors is the Vortex Viper riflescope available?
- A. It is only available in black from the manufacturers. However, you can have it customized to include patterns and designs that you would like.
2. Q. What are the actual MOA measurements on the dead hold BDC of the Vortex Viper riflescope?
- A. The first is 1.5 moa, the second is 4.5 moa and the third measures 7.5 moa.
3. Q. Can I use a 338 lapua on the riflescope?
- A. Yes, you can. However, 338 is the maximum it can withstand. For better results and lower risk of damage, use high quality rings and only tighten between 15 and 18 inches per pound
4. Q. What rifles are compatible with this riflescope?
- A. This riflescope is compatible with most rifle models. However, make sure you consult experts at rifle shops before making your purchase.
Other amazing options
It goes without saying that Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16 x 44 Riflescope is a great choice. However, during my search I came across other riflescopes that were just as amazing. Below are the other three options that almost swayed me before I made my final decision.
Nikon PROSTAFF 5 BCD 3.5-14 x 40 Riflescope
What I like most about his particular riflescope is the Spring-Loaded instant zero reset turret. This feature makes it very easy to make quick adjustments which is a huge advantage especially when using it for hunting. Despite having a lower magnification than he Vortex viper, I still consider it a great option with quite impressive features of its own.
Redfield Revenge 4-12x 42
This riflescope has one of the longest eye relief measurements I have ever used. This makes it very comfortable and easy to use and was one of my favorite things about it. The 4-plex reticle is also a great feature but I settled for the BDC on the Vortex viper.
Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn
This was one of the most affordable choices that I came across during my search. Despite being so cheap, it has really impressive features including the multi-X reticle that makes it possible to use it in low light conditions. This is an advantage for hunters where they field is not very well lit. The waterproof and fog proof features were also attractive. I chose Vortex viper over this one because the Bushnell riflescope has a lover magnification range. Considering the fact that I was shopping for a rifle scope for hunting, this was a small but significant con.
After all is said and done, the Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16 x 44 Riflescope takes the crown as a pretty amazing product. With all the amazing features and the user friendly nature, you are sure to have a great time deer hunting or even competitive long range shooting. The other amazing thing that I discovered is that you can have fun with the riflescope independently without actually using the rifle. How? You can use it for other activities like bird watching and surveillance. With all these amazing things about the Vortex Viper, I have no doubt that I made the best choice for myself.